Servant Leader. Skilled Advocate. Change Agent.
Proven leader. Skilled Advocate. Change Agent. State Representative Edward “Ted” James’ passion for leadership is driven by a deeply held desire to impact the lives of others while transforming the community he simply calls “his village”. The Baton Rouge native was taught at an early age the value of service, the strength of community, the importance of a quality education, and the principles of social justice.
After graduating from the historic McKinley Sr. High School, Ted obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Southern University. He is a cum laude graduate of the Southern University Law Center, having served as President of the Student Bar Association.
After passing the Louisiana Bar Exam in 2006, Ted declined an offer to pursue a traditional legal career and dedicated himself to the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita by joining the office of Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco. As the Governor’s policy advisor on housing and community development Ted assisted in securing a $25 million investment into the Louisiana Housing Trust Fund. Ted later served on the Louisiana Commission on Housing and Community Development, where he continued his dedication to establish affordable housing solutions for the people of Louisiana.
After completing his service with the Blanco administration, Ted served as a staff attorney with the Louisiana House of Representatives drafting legislation. In 2009, Ted was appointed to serve as Special Counsel to the Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Revenue, where he was charged with developing legislative strategy for the department. His leadership led to an appointment by Governor Bobby Jindal to serve on the Louisiana Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations where he effectively managed relationships with other governmental agencies to further the well-being of the people of Louisiana.
Ted has a record of dedicated community service through his work with a number of causes. He serves as a member of the YMCA Capital Area Board of Directors, is a committee member of BREC, and spends countless hours mentoring students in Baton Rouge schools. Additionally, Ted is a highly sought after and dynamic public speaker.
Ted is married to Veronica Michelle James and they are members of Beacon Light Church of Baton Rouge.
Edward “Ted” James has received the following acknowledgements:
- 2013 National Bar Association’s “Nations Best Advocate: 40 Under 40” List
- 2012 NAACP Baton Rouge Chapter’s Great Expectations Award Recipient
- 2012 YMCA’s Trailblazer of the Year Honoree
- 2012 225 Magazine’s “12 People to Watch in Baton Rouge” List
- 2012 Louisiana Young Democrats Man of the Year Award Recipient
- 2012 American Cancer Society’s Legislative Leadership Award Recipient
- 2010 Baton Rouge Business Report’s “Forty Under 40” Award Recipient
- 2010 NAACP National Chapter “Top 40 Power Players Under 40” Award Recipient
- Louisiana AARP 2014 Legislator of the Year
- Louisiana School Board Association 2014 Legislator of the year